Feb 9, 2011

Birthdays with grandchildren are worth the wait!

So nice to be able to plan short visits with our family if even just for a weekend.  All we have to do is jump in the car and we're there.  I remember a time in my life when 6 hours in the car was a big deal but when you've lived thousand's of miles away from family, 6 hours is nothing to drive now.  Before we moved to Ontario we would be fortunate to see my son and his family every other year, which included the added cost of airfare whether it was us or them -- somebody had to pay the price.  


We were able to drive to Michigan to celebrating our grandson's birthday.  Crossing the border we had to give up our clear sandwich bag of unidentified dog food for Teddi.  We've learned that the next time we cross we have to bring it in the original bag and we cannot bring Lamb & Rice dog food regardless of the brand name. Thankfully I only packed enough for 3 meals and it wasn't that big of a deal to give it up. Left early Saturday morning and arrived about noon (6 hours later).  It was so nice to be able to just jump in the car and drive to where they are.  

We had a great time with my son and daughter-in-law too.  Grandpa and Sage played outside in the snow for awhile on the first day we got there.   Our daughter-in-law made a beautiful "Spiderman" birthday cake.  I think an impatient little boy may have tried getting into it before he was suppose to.  My son made an awesome potroast dinner using a pressure cooker and roasted potatoes in the oven.  The next morning he made pancakes, bacon and eggs.  We had a lot of fun just visiting.  Grandma really enjoyed the baby cuddling and bonding time.  I cannot believe how much the baby has grown since Christmas.

When we crossed the border on Sunday coming home, we paid the toll to cross the bridge as usual.  They gave us our change in U.S. funds.  I was excited to see the $1 coin for the first time like Canada has.  I had heard they were making these but had not seen any yet.  Cool!  

We stopped outside of London at Costco on our way home.  I may have picked up the flu with all the traffic in and out of Costco.  It could have been the flu from my son and daughter-in-law's house because they all just had it a week ago.  Who knows?  I got sick the next day after we got back but it was only a 24 hour bug so not too bad other than the standard flu symptoms one does not enjoy.  

All in all It was a great car trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are read and appreciated.