Apr 8, 2011

What's Up The Road Ahead?

I believe you should always ask God for safety when you travel.  You never know what accidents lay waiting before you.  I'm not saying you will always avoid an accident if you pray but I do believe when you ask in Jesus' Name for safety God sends angels to watch over you because you turned to Him first to ask for traveling mercies before you start on your trip.  Sometimes I forget until we are traveling along the highway but because I am a nervous passenger whenever my husband gets behind the wheel, I usually always bring anyone in the car before the throne of grace to ask for God's divine protection.  Its not that I don't trust my husband's driving -- he's a good driver but he does tend to speed and take risks I wouldn't take.  I usually gasp or make other noises when he gets too close to high speeding traffic.  I always tell him, 'you never know what the other drivers are going to do'.  I forget that there are other things beside traffic that can cause accidents beyond your control. 


Well, I prayed last night as we headed back from his mother's house in Orillia.  We were speeding through the end of rush hour traffic heading home from Toronto on the 401.  It was scary as always for me so I remembered I hadn't prayed yet -- so up went my request for safety to my God.


We made it out of the insanity and were well on our way home.  As we neared our home, only 5 km away, we were on a country road at about 10:15 last night.  My husband was speeding down this gravel road when suddenly a deer jumped out of the brush and froze in the headlights in front of us.  


My husband slammed on the brakes.....



Thank you God for Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) in our 2009 Ford Focus. 

Thank you God for my husband's quick reaction.

Thank you God that we stayed on the road and didn't go off in a ditch.

Thank you God that my husband, my dog and I were all safe. 

Thank you God for no damage to our car and that you kept us from hitting the deer.

Thank you God for keeping the deer safe.

Thank you God for the opportunity to gently discuss my husband’s need to slow down when he’s driving on these country roads.



I’ll leave you with this photo taken 5 years ago when we were on a campout.  Our friends, Vic and Deb had come out with their son, Jayme and a friend of theirs to join us for a barbecue.  When they got ready to leave, everyone got into the car and they turned on their car headlights.  I decided to be funny and jumped out in front of their headlights to impersonate a "deer caught in the headlights".  Our friends, Vic and Deb, had the photo blown up as a poster for my 50th birthday.

We never know day to day when we will see someone for the last time.  Please make sure the people you care about know how much you love them.  Don’t take for granted the life God has given you and make the most of it. 

“Dear God, please keep me!”  
A keep is a strong central tower used as a dungeon or a fortress. Often, the keep is the most defended area of a castle, and as such may form the main habitation area, or contain important stores such as the armory, food, and the main water well, which would ensure survival during asiege
Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.  Psalm 91:2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."  Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.  Psalm 144:2  He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge...



1 comment:

  1. Scary! I pray sometimes just when I'm going across town...I'm also a nervous passenger (poor Coley) so I know where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are read and appreciated.