Mar 4, 2011

More renovations but not at our house

We will be traveling this weekend to visit my mother-in-law.  We have committed to helping her get her home ready for sale.  This weekend we will look at her home to assess the work that needs to be done.  This means a full calendar for us for the next while.  We're hoping to visit my sister-in-law and her family while we are in the area.  The weather shouldn't be too bad and hopefully when we come back we'll find that a lot of our snow here will have melted down.

UPDATE
My mother-in-law is elderly and has recently decided to sell her house and move to an apartment.  My husband and I drove 3 ½ hours to visit his mother for the weekend.  It was to help determine what needed to be done to make the house ready for resale.  We wanted to find out a time frame and what her expectations were.  We’ve offered our services to her at our own expense and time.   She would only have to pay for the materials.  By the end of the weekend we discovered she is not ready and will need to seriously figure out what she wants.

My mother-in-law, like many seniors, has accumulated a lot of stuff over her lifetime.  Her house is extremely cluttered and she admits she is not a very good housekeeper.  The cleaning and de-cluttering alone will require a lot of preparation to sell the house even if we do not do any upgrades or repairs.  Within the amount of stuff she has collected she also has an enormous supply of very nice hard-covered books from Readers Digest on the subject of gardening, health, redecorating and birds.  She offered them to me, along with a wooden, multi-armed plant holder.  I sat down with great appreciation and began going through all her books to select the ones I would like to take home. So far, we helped declutter her home by bringing it to our home!  I can see where this is heading one item at a time.  In the future, I have to gain more self-control because the last thing I need is more stuff! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are read and appreciated.