Mar 10, 2011

Bird Watching Even On Drizzle Days






There are signs of Spring around us.  Despite the damp, cold and drizzly weather, the birds are singing as though they know something we don't.  Our grass, currently soaked, stayed green through the entire Winter, that is something we are definitely not use to coming from Calgary where our grass turned brown until late Spring.   Even though the sun is not shining through the overcast sky, I am anxious to start a walking program to lose weight and get into better health.  I am hoping to walk daily (weather permitting) with the goal to complete a full circle around the road to road grid of 9 km (5.5 miles) round trip.  Today my hubby and I began walking mid-morning before the weather started to drizzle on us.  We walked 4 km (2.5 miles) round trip and got back just in time before we got wet.

I took some photos of how our day turned into foggy and wet but it didn't seem to deter the birds.  There were a lot of them throughout the day.  Unfortunately I couldn't get any photos of the birds we are currently hearing around us right now, which are the beautiful Northern Cardinal, the Red-winged Blackbird and the snowy, white Tundra Swans or as they use to be called "Whistling Swans" migrating to the Northwest Territories to their breeding grounds.  The swans are loud but they are very temporal in this area.  Of course I have seen the common Robin and the always reliable Chickadee and Wren but more than any other bird I really am looking forward to seeing Hummingbirds this Summer.  That would absolutely make my day!  Until then I'll have to just keep watching and listening like everyone else for our fine feathered friends to show up.  Lets hope I can get some photos too.




There is no place like home and home is where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are read and appreciated.