Feb 20, 2011

Discovering Buttermilk

Since moving to Ontario I have discovered I like buttermilk. I originally bought buttermilk for baking breads and other recipes.  I remembered that my parents use to drink buttermilk because they liked it although as a child I did not.  So now that I'm an adult I decided to give it another try. I am surprised how much I like it.   I LOVE the yogurt-like taste and the creamy thickness that reminds me a lot of the pro-biotic liquid drinks currently on the market today. Fermented foods and drinks add friendly bacteria (microflora) to your gut that will keep you healthy and strong. 


Next I noticed that I started feeling better and actually began craving the buttermilk.   I've noticed lately that whenever I eat something spicy or put in other things not so good for me, my upper abdomen becomes painful.  The only thing that calms it down and deminishes the pain is a glass of cold buttermilk.   I now buy it regularly like milk or half and half. 

According to http://www.ayushveda.com buttermilk is highly effective in reducing the amount of heat in our body and this is why it is very popular during the summertime.  It also states that if you are having digestive problems it is advised that you drink buttermilk to help.  Buttermilk is rich in potassium, Vitamin B12, phosphorus and calcium.  Another vital ingredient in buttermilk is lactic acid produced by lactic acid bacteria that helps keep our immune system stronger. The protein of buttermilk is more easily digestible as compared with milk. Buttermilk is low in fat, has less calories than skim milk.  It is a refreshing and healthy drink and may assist in your diet plan to lose weight because or the low fat content.


Give it a try, you might like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are read and appreciated.